Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Cozy Nooks


     This is one of my favorite spots in my house.  It is a room right off of our foyer.  It is paneled in oak that had originally turned orangish but a wonderful decorative painter, Marie-Jo Bouffard worked her magic on it and now it is dark and beautiful.  All of the furnishings in this room are very neutral.  I can see the driveway and the comings and goings of our family, but I am just a bit removed.  I love to sit in that chair with a cup of coffee and look through magazines or do a crossword puzzle.   It is a peaceful place.


     This is another place that I love to hang out.  This little nook is in our media/rec room.  It is kid central and not very peaceful!  When we added on to our house, I had them build this for us, knowing that it would get lots of use and it has.  We have a large family and a humongous extended family and when everyone is in town, I love for as many as possible to stay with us! I had two twin mattresses custom made to fit this space.  They are upholstered in a soft, durable fabric.  You can't see it in this picture, but there are four large storage drawers underneath the seating area.  I toyed with the idea of having two pullout beds under there instead of drawers for a total of four beds, but visions of children launching themselves onto them made me reconsider.  I sat right there a few years ago and watched as the creek rose higher and higher during the Nashville flood.  Thankfully, it never reached our house, but it did affect many others.  I am so proud of the way our city pulled together and helped each other during that time.  

     The photos below are from one of my Pinterest boards that I named "Nooks."  Don't they just make you want to curl up with a blanket and a good book.





1. Taken with my iPhone  2.  Ashley Hylbert Photography  3.  Peter Dunham (maybe?)  4.  Can't find the source (sorry!)  5.  Valerie DeRoy Interiors  6.  Nightingale Designs    

No comments:

Post a Comment