Wednesday, March 5, 2014

One of my favorite things!

     When I got married, twenty-one years ago, Rivers and I loaded up on furniture from our parents' and grandparents' attics.  Because we are both first born and the first ones to marry in our families, we hit the jackpot!  (I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to all of our siblings for raiding the roost and not leaving much for you.  I'm so sorry!  Call me later and we can work through any bitter feelings you might still have.)  We were able to furnish a two bedroom apartment without having to buy one thing.  Pretty amazing? Yes!  Was it cute? Not really.  We had zero money in the decorating budget.  But, it was our first home and I loved it!  I was so thankful for Great Aunt Helen's quilted sofa, Papa and Gan's first dining set with the Hinkley chairs, and my parents' oak washstand that served as our bedside chest.  As the years passed, so did a lot of that furniture.  Eventually, I found myself trying to decide what to do about a chair that had belonged to Granny.  I wasn't ready to let it go, but it did not seem to fit anywhere.  It was headed for the attic, when a need arose.  My daughter CiCi needed a chair in her room, but there was no way this one would work in its current state.  My wheels started to turn.  What if…What if we reupholstered it with a really cute girly fabric.  What if we PAINTED it???  Oh my goodness--I was so excited!!  My plan became a reality and I tell you---I think it is my favorite thing in the whole house!  

This is exactly what the chair looked like before. 


This is CiCi's chair now.  


 Here is a close up of the chair detail.

     So, what's the moral of the story?  1. Don't be greedy and take everything from your parents' and grandparents' attics.  2.  Don't pass on an ugly duckling.  If you like the lines and overall design of something, it can be made new and fresh with a little paint and fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment