Monday, January 27, 2014

Decorating with Antlers

     As deer season winds to a close,  I am inspired to write about how we can use what our mighty hunters have brought back from their adventures in the woods to enhance our home.  I really am a fan of antlers and mounted animals, if they are done tastefully (and treated humanely--not killing for the sake of killing.)  My favorite is the European mount, with its beautiful carved wood plaque.  I am most happy hanging those all over my house.  One of my most prized possessions is a German carved deer head with real antlers from the Black Forest in Germany.  I think it dates back to the 1800's.  I admired him for several years at Scott's antique market and finally decided to take the plunge and buy it.  I have never regretted it.  I enjoy it daily.  My boys are hunting now and have both killed deer.  I am very proud to hang their trophies in our house!  If you don't have a hunter in your house,  antlers can be purchased easily on the internet or in antique stores.  Also, if you object to using real antlers, there are ones made out of resin that look authentic.  

via Elle Decor
   
via littlebluedeer.com
 
via hgthecountess.blogspot.com
via cactuscreekdaily.com
via Vårt Nya Hem
via patchworkharmony.blogspot.com
PS--You can also use feathers--especially pheasant tails--to enhance your decor!
via Eve Smith
via fadedcharmcottage.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment